In the wake of the Sandra Bland incident, police officers around the country are taking it upon themselves to tell every day citizens how they should act when pulled over by the police.
Above is a modified video that was originally created by The Lake Charles Police Department just days after Louisiana State Trooper Steven Vincent was shot and killed by a deranged man.
Activists added subtext to the public service announcement illustrating some inconsistencies made by the police officer.
I get the intent of the video…police officers put their lives on the line every day, but it isn’t always the citizen who is causing the problem.
Here are some of the points and counter points that are given in the video:
1. Police point: There are 800,000 +/- police officers in the U.S. and they make about 1,000,000 public contacts (mainly through traffic stops).
a. Counterpoint: Cops kill a person every 7.4 hours and traffic stops are how they “generate revenue” (steal from us).
b. Counterpoint: Citizens are afraid to call 911 due to the increasing frequency of police shooting the person who originally called for help
2. Police point: The officer tells you the best way to conduct yourself should you find yourself in a traffic infraction.
a. Counterpoint: “Respect my authority” – The officer is telling you to bow down to the police officer.
b. Counterpoint: The video shows a car running a stop sign. The activist then writes “notice how we can break the ‘law’ to film this video on how to comply when you break the ‘law’?”
3. Police point: Do not argue with the police
a. Counterpoint: Because if you argue you’ll end up dead, like Sandra Bland.
4. Police point: Cooperate with the police at all times.
a. Counterpoint: The activist shows a video clip of a man being asked for his license. After he checks his pockets and reaches into the vehicle (assuming to get his license) as he was instructed to do, the victim is shot multiple times by the officer.
5. Police point: Ensure you have a current registration, insurance and driver’s license.
a. Counterpoint: If you don’t have those things, maybe the police will let you off if you promise to buy tickets to a police event/fundraiser.
6. Police point: The police can choose whether you stay in or out of your car based on how fearful they are.
a. Counterpoint: Police are afraid of everything and will even claim your cell phone is a weapon as an excuse to assert more control over you.
7. Police point: The Police are aware that no one likes to receive citations, but they tell us that we “citizens” must understand their citations reduce crashes, injuries and fatalities.
a. Counterpoint: The police have monthly quotas they must fill.
Who do you agree with, the police officer or the activist?
Return to Top